Saturday, September 2, 2017
This is not the first time I visited the City Of Lakes—Udaipur and neither will it be the last time. From rich history to scenic locations, this beautiful city has so much to offer. Unlike a typical 2017 city, this one resplendent in history and oozes with hospitality. If you’re a person who can leave the gizmo bliss aside and be one with the Indian heritage and beauty, then this city should be on your list to explore over the next long weekend you get!
Here are all the things that made my travel the most amazing one in 2017 so far!
1. Throwback to the life of Rich and Royals at The City Palace
Day 1 in #Udaipur was all about exploring how the #Royals live! ?? . #HippiequeTravels to City Palace ? . ? by @saum18 . . . #instatravel #Travelgram #incredibleIndia #bestoftheday #picoftheday #photooftheday #instadaily #instamood #instagood #instapic #instagramhub #instafollow #followme #follow4follow #followforfollow #likeforlike #like4likes #igers #igaddict #iphonesia #iphoneonly #travelphotography #rajasthan #travelblogger
The City Palace was built by Maharana Udai Singh II and his successors over a period of 400 years. The Royals lived here and ruled their kingdom. This palace is said to be the largest of its kind in Rajasthan. No dearth of ‘Game Of Thrones’ plot stories here!
- Get a guide from the entry point to know exactly how the royals lived and get the inside scoop on all the interesting stories from their time.
- There is a lot of walking, so make sure your footwear is comfy and not runway ready!
- Must see the Crystal Gallery. It houses some of the most exquisite crystals in the form of decorations and ornaments. Basically, all the bling the Royals owned like a boss!
- Instagram worthy level: 8/10
2. Detoxing mind and soul at the scenic Monsoon Palace
This is another highly attractive tourist point based on the view that one gets from the top. In The Monsoon Palace you don’t have much to do except enjoy the view, so make sure you charge your devices because this place will need a lot of Instagram posts!
- You need to arrange for your own vehicle to go to the top of the Monsoon Palace from the entry gate. Trust me that’s a long walk unless you’re lucky enough to hitch hike!
- Only go for the view. The Palace structure is not maintained and looks highly unreliable.
- Wear a cap because there’s almost 88% chance that the birds will poop on your head!
- Instagram worthy level: 8.5/10
3. Strolling along the bylanes of Lake Pichola
There is nothing better than taking a walk by the calm lake Pichola. The smell of freshly baked breads from the bakeries on the street is heavenly, and shopping for irresistible nick-knacks from the petite street stores is a must. The area is also known for some highly recommended restaurants (read point number 5 for specifics).
- Carry enough cash with you as there are limited ATMs in the vicinity (if they work!).
- Must visit The Ambrai at Amet Haveli for the view and some delicious food. Also, please make sure you pre-book a table because it runs even more packed than Taj Lake Palace! (Not even joking!).
- There are small boutique stores by the lake that offer you their services to stitch up any kind of outfit in just a couple of hours. All you need to do is show them a picture of it! I personally didn’t try it because for once, I was more focused on travel than fashion!
- Instagram worthy level: 8/10
4. Shopping at the local market of Hathi Pole
In my mind I packed all these accessories with me back to Bombay! ?⚡️#hippiequetravels . . . . #streetstyle #shopping #streetwear #baubles #accessories #instatravel #Travelgram #Udaipur #incredibleIndia #bestoftheday #picoftheday #photooftheday #instadaily #instamood #instagood #instapic #instagramhub #instafollow #followme #follow4follow #followforfollow #likeforlike #like4likes #igers #igaddict #iphonesia #rajasthan #travelblogger
Street shopping is one of the factors I always consider while choosing my travel destinations. My love for traditional shoes and bags makes Udaipur on the top of my splurge list! The Haathi Pole market is where the locals shop from but it also caters to a large number of tourists. The (if I may) iconic green skirt that I’m wearing for most of my Instagram pictures is from this market and you’ll see many designs and colours in the same!
- Do not pay anything more than Rs 350 for a pair of juttis. Even though, I bought mine for INR 150 since I have mastered the art of haggling (thanks to Sarojni and Colaba Causeway!).
- Most of the shops are selling the same design, so do NOT give in to impulse buying!
- Instagram worthy level: 5/10
There are also many jewellery and art stores near Sahelion ki Badi. One such store is The Silver Arts Palace, which houses some of the most creative jewellery, bags, and decor.
In love with my silver baubles! ?You like? #HippiequeShops ? . . . . #silver #silverjewellery #rings #statementrings #accessories #Udaipur #incredibleIndia #bestoftheday #picoftheday #photooftheday #instadaily #instamood #instagood #instapic #instagramhub #instafollow #followme #follow4follow #followforfollow #likeforlike #like4likes #igers #igaddict #iphonesia #iphoneonly #travelphotography #rajasthan #travelblogger
5. Foodies gone wild with these recommended eateries
Lunch by the lake > Cake by the ocean! ?#hippiequetravels . . . . #instatravel #travelwithme #Travelgram #Udaipur #Cityoflakes #incredibleIndia #bestoftheday #picoftheday #photooftheday #instadaily #instamood #instagood #instapic #instagramhub #instafollow #followme #follow4follow #followforfollow #likeforlike #like4likes #igers #igaddict #iphonesia #iphoneonly #travelphotography #travelphotographer #rajasthan #travelblogger
The down side of ‘livin it up’ in Udaipur is that you’re sure to gain at least 3 kgs when you snap out of your trip! #TrueStory
There is some mesmerizing food to be tasted in this city. Here’s THE ONLY list you need to satisfy your tummy with beautiful food and dream about it for the rest of your life!
1. Hari Garh Restaurant
- Location: Overlooking Lake Pichola. Get a seat on the 1st floor of the restaurant for the best view.
- What to order: Go for Indian food and must try the Mewari Chicken! I still dream about that dish TBH.
2. Tribute Restaurant
- Location: Overlooking Fateh Sagar Lake. Pre-book a table by the lake, it’s truly divine!
- What to order: Indian food all the way!
3. Upre by 1559 AD
- Location: Rooftop restaurant. Perfect for a romantic date. Better to go at night for the view!
- What to order: Can go for Indian or Continental.
4. Ambrai by Amet Haveli
- Location: Overlooking Lake Pichola. This place really has the best view of the area. Must pre-book at all cost!
- What to order: Indian as well as continental. Must try laal maas!
5. 1559 AD
- Location: Near Fateh Sagar Lake. Beautiful boutique restaurant.
- What to order: Continental and Indian. Must try their desserts!
6. Cafe Edelweise
- Location: Bylanes of Lake Pichola.
- What to order: Bakery foods & breakfast.
6. Experiencing the luxury at The Oberoi Udaivilas
Thanks for the lovely experience @theoberoiudaivilas! You were nothing but a dream ✨?#hippiequetravels . . . #instatravel #travelwithme #Travelgram #Udaipur #udaivilas #incredibleIndia #bestoftheday #picoftheday #photooftheday #instadaily #instamood #instagood #instapic #instagramhub #instafollow #followme #follow4follow #followforfollow #likeforlike #like4likes #igers #igaddict #iphonesia #iphoneonly #travelphotography #travelphotographer #rajasthan #travelblogger
A high tea and a tour of this lavish fifty acres property, which includes twenty acres of wildlife sanctuary has got to be the highlight of my trip! The Oberoi Udaivilas is built on the hunting grounds of the Maharaja of Mewar and has both Mughal and Mewar architecture.
Fun fact: The domes that you see with a pumpkin design is a clear signature of Mewar architecture. While the plain domes are a representation of the Mughal architecture. That’s why Taj Mahal has a plain dome as it was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan! (Only getting you smarter by the minute!). You’re welcome!
Did I mention, that the private tour included the Presidential Suite that costs INR 9 Lakhs a night! (Future husband, are you reading this?).
It has an infinity pool right outside the bedrooms
The lobby entrance of the room smells like you’re sitting next to fresh water springs
The drawing room is worth drawing in the book titled – This is what lap of luxury feels like!
This hotel has been in countless Bollywood movies, the latest one being Yeh Jawani Hai Diwani. Remember Kalki’s wedding destination scenes?
The Oberoi Udaivilas has been awarded as the Best Hotel In The World, consecutively 3 times. The splendid property and the fine hospitality by the staff, makes this hotel perfect to create some memories for a lifetime!
- If you’re not staying at the hotel, it will be still amazing to have a meal at one of their restaurants and request the front desk to give you a tour of the place.
- Pre-book your rooms as they are very packed throughout the year.
- If you do happen to stay there book yourself for an afternoon of enjoying the nature and chasing peacocks in the gardens!
- Instagram worthy level: 100/10!!!
And finally, here’s my travel movie that says it all…
A BIG SHOUT OUT TO:
1. @MyPixelPantry a.k.a my cousin who gave me company in all the madness I had! (What’s travel without having someone amazing to share it with?).
2. Udaipur’s most exciting Instagram – @InstaUdaipur for making my trip rather interactive with The Hippieque take over!
3. And lastly, my travel partner – @PeeSafe without which I do not even dare to step out of my house let alone escaping to a travel fantasy. The toilet seat sanitizer is a must for every woman out there so that you are free from any infections like UTI. Buy it HERE.
Hope you liked my Udaipur adventure. It’s time you live your own!
Comment below with a travel destination you’re most excited to explore, and I might just go there as a recce team and give you all the details!